Saturday, February 18, 2012

Dr. Seuss

After vacation, I will be implementing a unit on Dr. Seuss! I have not written up my lesson plans yet (they take so much time and thought!), but I have planned out my workboard centers and at least two whole class lessons.

On Monday I am getting observed by my supervisor (yikes!), so I needed to do a whole class lesson that would introduce the unit. The teacher I am working with and I came up with this idea for a rhyming lesson:
I am going to start by reading Hop on Pop, which is filled with rhymes. Then I am going to read my students a little story I wrote that is filled with -at word family words. I will have the story written on a piece of chart paper, but the -at words will be blank. I will talk to my students about how we could figure out how to spell those words, since at is a word wall word that they know. I will have students write in the missing words (I will tell them what the word should be, they just need to figure out how to spell it).

When we are finished working on the story, I will give each student a picture, and they will need to go to their tables to find the picture that rhymes (there will be four pictures on their table). They will glue their pictures on a Cat in the Hat hat that they decorate!

My other whole class activity will be based on The Foot Book. Students will measure their shoes with different objects, such as paper clips, pencils, and math cubes.

This is my plan for some of the workboard centers:
  • In art we are making Lorax's
  • At writing, students are filling in and illustrating the prompt, "Oh me! Oh my! Oh me! Oh my! What a lot of funny things go by! I saw ___” 
  • At math, students will making funny feet patterns
  • At science we are making oobleck
  • At one pocket chart students are matching opposites (pictures below)
  • At the other pocket chart, students are finding word wall words in the poem  “Doctor Seuss, we love you, Doctor Seuss, we really do, Doctor Seuss, we love you. We like ‘Yertle the Turtle,’ We like ‘Sam I Am.’ Like the ‘Grinch’ and ‘Lorax,’ and ‘Green Eggs and Ham.’” 
  • Students are illustrating the poem at poetry notebooks
  • Students will sort red, blue, and red with blue fish into a venn diagram at star (which is basically teacher choice)
  • At games they will play the game Topple (just like the cat in the hat balances a lot of objects)


We are also having Wacky Wednesday, Silly Sock Day on Thursday, and we are seeing The Lorax in theaters on Friday (Dr. Seuss' birthday)!

On Monday, my morning message will be:
Good morning!
We will talk about Dr. Seuss today.
We are going to rhyme all day.
Let's get started, I cannot wait!
Dr. Seuss is really great!
Love, Ms. Coughlan


This is a very large and disorganized post, but I wanted to share my ideas!
Please ask if you want any clarifications on any of my lessons or centers.

No comments:

Post a Comment